Tuesday, February 22, 2011

smart snack ideas

Hi ladies :)

How are you all doing this week?? Only 1 more day till our next weigh in. I wonder who will be 'the biggest loser' for this week.

I thought I d share a few ideas Ive used over the last 12 months, for those times when the 'snacking monster' strikes. I start looking for something to eat around 3 or 4 in the afternoon, then again in the evening while watching TV with hubby. Alot of the time in the evening, when I start wanting something to eat, I will go in to my scraproom, and start playing in there for a while, to distract myself. But if I really do 'need' something, I will always make sure I grab something healthy. My absolute biggest problem, pre weight loss, was eating icecream in the evening, I avoid that like the plague now, and dont even have it in the house :) And believe it or not, I actually enjoy a tub of low fat fruit yoghurt as much now as I used to enjoy my icecream.

Here are few ideas I use when I want a snack

1. my all time favorite is fruit yoghurt, I LOVE 'nestle peach and mango'
2. 2 crackers ( I eat light cruskits) with a slice of turkey and some low fat cottage cheese
3. I cut up heaps of fruits that are in season, put it in a container in the fridge, so its always there as a quick and easy snack, my kids love this too
4. occasionally I have a 'nestle weight watchers chocolate mousse' they arent alot of calories, and definately satisfy the sweet craving

Some other ideas

one for the sweet tooth

Pineapple with ricotta ( about 170 calories)
quarter of a cup of crushed pineapple (in juice)
quarter od a cup of low fat ricotta cheese
half teaspoon lemon juice, 1 teaspoon ( or equivilant) sugar substitute ( I use 1 sugarine)
2 cruskits

mix all ingredients ( other that cruskits) in a small bowl and serve on top of the cruskits......
***************
and one for the savory lover

Parmesan popcorn
( about 80 calories for the whole lot)
2 cups popped popcorn
2 teaspoons grated parmesan cheese
season with black pepper

pop the popcorn ( I use the plain microwave type, with NO BUTTER)
as soon as its done, and still hot, toss through the parmesan and pepper
**************

I will be back soon with a few more ideas....
see you all tomorrow :)

5 comments:

  1. I had yoghurt last night for "dessert". Others had icecream and individual apricot or apple pies. Wasn't I good?
    My trick is to brush my teeth after dinner. Doesn't always work but it often does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must have been 'snack' night - I had some weight watchers ice cream that DH bought home for both of us - just the little tub so we didn't eat too much.

    We think alike Dale - i do that too sometimes but you're right it doesn't always work but often does help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had some yogurt with strawberries the other day. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Dale, I do the teeth thing too !!! LG I have yoghurt in place of icecream, cream and custard now... and yep, it is YUMMY !!!! I did my stewed apple in the diet lemonade yesturday ( we have tonnes on our trees) and it is really yummy with diet vanilla yoghurt....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love the Liddles Lactose-free plain yoghurt with blueberries dropped in it (can't quite get used to the taste of other plain yoghurts) and the flavoured ones have too much sugar in them for me. You can get it at Coles and Woolworths.

    ReplyDelete

Your suggestions are welcome and we thankyou for your comments.